Man Dies After Being Sucked Into An MRI Machine

A man in India died after he was trapped in an MRI machine. The hospital is being blamed for the death of the 32-year-old man.

By WKBW on January 30, 2018
mri machine
(Photo by Matthew Simmons/Getty Images)

A 32-year-old man, Rajesh Maruti Maru, died in a hospital in India after trapped in an MRI machine.

Maru was in the hospital visiting a family member at BYL Nair Municipal Hospital in Mumbai when he got sucked into the MRI. He was holding an oxygen tank, which may have been what led to the accident. Dr. Ramesh Bharmal told The Indian Express:

“Magnetic force of the machine sucked him in. We are not sure how he went so close. An inquiry is on.”

According to reports, Maru was holding the oxygen tank for his sister’s mother-in-law, who was scheduled for an MRI scan. The family claims that a staffer told him that the machine was off when it was actually on and to take the tank into the room. It is imperative that metallic items are removed before entering the room.

Maru’s relative told NDTV:

“As soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on.”

Maru’s hand got stuck in the machine along with the tank. He was rushed to the emergency ward, but died 10 minutes later of collapsed lung. His family is blaming the staffers for the accident.

The hospital employees, Siddhant Shah, and Vitthal Chavan, who let Maru enter the room with the oxygen tank have been arrested.

Around the site