8-Year-Old Oregon Boy Dies From Flesh-Eating Bacteria

A boy in Oregon died after a battling with a flesh-eating bacteria. ‘Don’t just take for granted it could be a simple accident,’ his mom said.

By Admin on January 25, 2018
(Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

An 8-year-old Oregon boy, Liam Flanagan, died over the weekend after battling a flesh-eating bacteria for eight days.

According to Sara Hebard, Liam’s mom, the disease spreads easily and quickly. She said that Liam came into contact with the bacteria after a bad fall on his bike. He went to the emergency room to treat a bloody thigh wound, reports KSL. He ended up with seven stitches, and Sara thought nothing more of it.

However, Liam complained about severe pain following the treatment. Sara gave him Tylenol to ease the pain, but it only seemed to get worse. Liam had to go back to the hospital and underwent several surgeries. The bacteria can move very quickly. Doctors attempted to cut the flesh-eating bacteria from Liam’s ankle to his armpit.

Liam died in Portland on Sunday. Sara is still shaken by the fact that this all started with Liam falling off his bike.

She said:

“I would have to say for one, hug your children tight because you never know how quickly it goes, and then to pay attention to them and don’t just take for granted it could just be a simple accident. And to spread awareness because people don’t know. I had never even heard of this before.”

Around the site