Disney has rolled out a COVID-19 health and safety plan to reopen Shanghai Disneyland next week, according to The Orange County Register.
The first Disney park to welcome guests since the coronavirus pandemic will reopen May 11. New health and safety protocols will be in place including social distancing, temperature scans, required masks and other precautions. Possibly a blueprint for what to expect when more Disney parks eventually open.
Shanghai Disneyland can handle 80,000 guests, but the Chinese government is restricting the park to 30% capacity. Only 24,000 guests will be allowed in at one time.
No word on when the U.S. parks will reopen.
The Shanghai Disneyland health and safety protocols include:
Employee screenings and protection
- Institute health and safety COVID-19 training for employees
- Encourage contactless interactions with visitors
- Provide masks and additional protective equipment to employees
Entrance and security checkpoints
- Require advanced reservations for daily visitors and annual passholders
- Use government-issued Shanghai health QR code contact tracing system
- Implement temperature screening
- Limit attendance and pulse visitor entry
- Sanitize entry turnstiles
- Require visitors to wear protective face masks
Social distancing and sanitization
- Control visitor capacity and density
- Reduce 80,000 visitor capacity to 24,000 visitors per day
- Increase sanitization and disinfection measures at high-touch locations
- Install hand sanitizing stations at attraction entrances and exits
Rides and attractions
- Manage capacity in queues and on ride vehicles
- Structure queues to maintain social distancing
- Enforce social distancing on ride vehicles
- Sanitize ride vehicles, handlebars and queue railings
- Temporarily close some theater shows and children’s play areas
Shows and characters
- Temporarily suspend parades and nighttime spectaculars
- Offer nightly light and music show on the Enchanted Storybook Castle
- Temporarily halt close interactions and close-up photos with costumed characters
- Offer daily Mickey and Friends Express character procession
Dining safety protocols
- Manage restaurant capacity
- Allow visitors to remove protective face masks while dining
Also trending: California To Begin Reopening Stores On Friday!