On Saturday, Aug. 10, the Back to the Future cast reunited at FAN EXPO in Boston.
Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox, Lea Thompson, and Thomas Wilson were in attendance. So, of course, the question of a sequel popped up. After all, revivals of ’80s films are all the rage right now.
The cast, however, stood in solidarity of keeping the films untouched. “Basically, I think America is saying, ‘Come on, they’ve wrecked every other franchise with bad sequels, why not this one?’” joked Wilson. “’C’mon, we would watch it until it sucks!’”
Fox agreed with Wilson’s sentiment, elaborating that the film’s co-creator, Bob Gale, the “gatekeeper,” is also unlikely to sign off on anything.
Director Robert Zemeckis has also made clear in previous interviews that he doesn’t want a Back to the Future revival. “That can’t happen until both Bob and I are dead,” he said at the time. “And then I’m sure they’ll do it, unless there’s a way our estates can stop it.”
According to PopCulture, it seems the only original cast member who seems interested in the idea is Lloyd. Last month, he said in an interview, “I’d be delighted. I’d love to be in a fourth film, if they could come up with the right idea that extends the story and does it as well as the first three.”
See the reunion picture below.