Therapy Dogs Help Stressed Travelers At SMF
BARC – short for the Boarding Area Relaxation Corps – are greeting guests once again at Sacramento International Airport
By Marilyn Nelson on November 22, 2021
The days of half-empty planes during the pandemic are over.
Here are some helpful tips to make your day of travel a little less stressful:
- Give yourself plenty of time to park and make it through security. Wait time for economy parking buses can be up to 20 minutes.
- Parking lots are cashless. You have to scan a credit card to get into the lot and use the same card when exiting.
- Since it may have been a while since you packed a carryon, remember to put your your 3.4 oz or smaller liquids into a quart size Ziplock bag.
- Masks are required from the minute you walk into the airport
- Bring antibacterial wipes. Once you get on the plane wipe down your seat and tray table.
- Be kind.
An airport in general is not a very peaceful place. Once you’ve made your way through security and put your shoes back on, look for an adorable therapy dog wearing a “Pet Me” vest from SMF’s BARC team. The dogs and their handlers are on hand to help soothe your anxiety. According to Sacramento County website, they’re at SMF on Mondays, Wednesdays, and first and third Fridays in terminals A and B.