Santa Cruz Boardwalk Shares Delicious Funnel Cake Recipe
By Marilyn Nelson on May 1, 2020
The crew at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk just shared their delightful funnel cake recipe with us! While we’re stuck at home unable to head to the Boardwalk, we can enjoy this yummy treat at home. Our kids are going to be so excited when we whip out this recipe…although we really know we’re making it for ourselves.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
· In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°.
· Mix wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixer until a smooth batter forms.
· Pour batter into a funnel or squeeze bottle (or liquid measuring cup if you don’t have a funnel). Then, pour the batter in a circular motion over the oil to create that classic funnel cake look. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes (until golden brown and puffy) on each side. Remove from oil with tongs and place on a plate or baking sheet with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
· Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy. Kick it up with other toppings like chocolate sauce, strawberries or whipped cream!
· This recipe can make approximately 8 funnel cakes.
Watch the instructional video HERE