Dozens of people across the country have been hospitalized after contracting a drug-resistant bacteria carried by puppies.
The nationwide breakout stems from cute, soft, lovable, innocent puppies sold in six pet store chains, causing more than one-hundred people in 18 states as far west as Utah to get sick. At least 26 people have ended up in the hospital.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and reported by CBS 13, the cause is campylobacter bacteria – causing diarrhea, stomach pains and fever – and is often antibiotic resistant. Most people can usually recover from the infection in about five days without treatment.
A CDC investigation found 95 percent of the patients say they had touched pet store puppies.
Despite all of this the CDC says just use common sense when you’re around new animals.
Wash or sanitize your hands before and after handling them.