Sometime, it can be difficult to relax. So, some genius decided we needed a day dedicated to it. Unfortunately they put it on a Thursday, so I don’t feel relaxed at all!
Mental Floss posted this useful list of ideas to get your relaxin’ on!
1. Eat a banana. Not sure if you knew this but, Potassium helps regulate your blood pressure. And when your blood pressure is low, it’s easier to deal with stress!
2. Give yourself a hand massage. Sounds totally weird, but it’s a quick, easy way to relax by releasing endorphins. If you work on a computer and type all day, this is especially good for you!
3. Mow your lawn. YES I KNOW! But apparently fresh-cut grass has a specific chemical in it that makes humans feel happy and relaxed. That’s why everyone loves the smell of it. Well, almost everyone…I don’t enjoy it.
4. This is a huge one, but you simply MUST avoid screens before bed! The artificial light is super bad for you at bedtime because it blocks the production of melatonin, the hormone that makes you sleepy. Studies have found people who use phones and computers late at night tend to be more stressed out than those who don’t.
5. Listen to some music (on Mix 96!) I added the last part. Listening to music actually relaxes you by slowing down your heart rate, lowering your blood pressure, and blocking stress hormones. In fact, studies have found that classical music works best. But ANY type of music you enjoy also works.
However you do it, take some time to relax today!