What is Galentine’s Day? Galentine’s Day is celebrated on February 13, the day before Valentine’s Day. Before celebrating your significant other, this is a day dedicated to showering our closest girlfriends with lots of positive love, attention and friendship. More that we do any other day.
The Origin – The concept of Galentine’s Day originally came about in 2010, on the second season of Parks and Rec. On the episode called “Galentine’s Day” fictional character, Leslie Knope gathers her closest gal pals for a brunch of waffles and admiration.
“Every February 13, my lady friends and I leave our husband and our boyfriends at home and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style,” Leslie says in the episode. “Ladies celebrating ladies.”
Here are 5 fun ways to celebrate all your best lady friends:
- Waffles and Mimosas – This is the traditional Galentine’s day route. Invite the ladies over for a waffle bar – Try a few different batters like cheddar and bacon, sweet red velvet or normal buttermilk.
- Spa Night – Either visit a spa or host a spa day/night at your house. There’s nothing better than spilling the gossip with a sheet mask plastered on your face.
- Game Night – Have your friends bring over their favorite card or board game, and enjoy each others’ company with a side of healthy competition.
- Hike – With so many wonderful hiking spots nearby, spend the day in the great outdoors celebrating your friendship.
- Bake-off – Host a delicious bake-off with your gals to see who can get the most creative in the kitchen.
Over the past 10 years, it has become a widely recognized holiday. Companies are now running their own Galentiene’s Day promotions.
Here are a few ways to celebrate in Sacramento:
Strapping– 3405 Broadway, Sacramento – Oak Park’s female owned rad gift shop will be hosting a sip n shop. Free bites from City Kitchen Sacramento, Karaoke inside, vendors outside. Neighboring stores in the Oak Park Triangle District, Miel, Rire, Nectar and KC kombucha will also be hosting vendors and offering free drinks from 4-8p on February 13th
Hosted by River City Marketplace – 1021 R Street – local brands Peace Love and Soy Wax and Balsam and Olive are celebrating Galentine’s Day with a workshop teaching you to pour your own candles and creating a hand-painted Valentine’s Day card from. 6-8p Feb 13. Enjoy refreshments, drinks while shopping River City Marketplace’s local makers and brands. Tickets are $45 HERE
Propagate – 1700 I Street, Sacramento – is teaming with Right Side Hand for a celebration of women and flowers. Sip wine and nibble on sweets as you and your besties create unique, beautiful bouquets. 6p February 13. Tickets are $85 HERE.
Also trending: Kory’s 5 Sacramento Valentine Date Ideas!