California Man Accidentally Set House On Fire Trying To Kill Spider [PIC]

A man in Redding, California accidentally set his apartment on fire while attempting to kill a spider by torching it. Residents now have to move out!

By WKBW on January 9, 2018
(Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

A man in Redding, California did something that many of us fantasize about: he torched a spider in his apartment. The payoff, however, probably wasn’t worth it. His actions caused residents in his building to have to move out. Whoops.

To be fair, the spider in question was reportedly a wolf spider and those things are not only huge, but also poisonous (although not lethal). They usually won’t bite unless provoked, but it’s not like most people will stop and think about it when they see one. Google at your own risk. (I mean it.)

Witness Lyndsey Wisegarver told Redding Record Searchlight that the on-fire spider jumped onto a mattress, which started the fire spreading. She said the man used a torch lighter to attack the spider. Residents attempted to put out the fire with a garden hose, but to no success.

Luckily, there were no injuries, but the $11,000 in damages has got to hurt. The apartment tenants also need to find other housing for the time being.

Wisegarver is looking at the glass half full, though, as she already was thinking about moving anyway.  “We’ll make it work,” she said.

What a trooper.

Around the site